How frequently does a less than ideal client reach out to you? How often do you end up taking that prospect on as a client?
Probably more frequently than you would like. We often live in this lack mindset, thinking that if we don’t take on every client we come across we’ll never find another one.
This leads us to taking on clients that range from deal makers, who aren’t willing to pay the prices you’re worthy of, to clients who want help with a service you don’t know. When you take those clients on you will begin to resent the work you do for them because they eat up so much of your time.
I’m here to tell you that you CAN work with your dream clients, all it takes is learning how to turn the clients away gracefully that can’t afford you.
Sounds simple in theory, but it does take some practice!
Denise Mandeau joins this episode of The Abundant Accountant Podcast to discuss with The Pitch Queen how you can turn away clients who can’t afford you and just aren’t your ideal clients with grace and ease.
Denise and I discuss how important it is to refer prospects out that aren’t our ideal clients, because it builds up what I like to call “sales karma.”
If you’re ready to kick that lack mindset to the curb and start living your abundant life (more money with less work), this episode of The Abundant Accountant Podcast is a MUST LISTEN!
Here are a few key secrets we talked about in this episode:
- Michelle gives an overview of what today’s episode is all about.
- Denise explains step 1 – that once you know that a lead isn’t a good fit, you shouldn’t drag the relationship on and on.
- You should never discount your prices for a potential client, because when you do you eventually start resenting the work that you’re doing for them.
- Michelle shares how their client Marc realized a client was a time and money suck, so he had to let them go & it saved him money!
- Step 2 – Be completely transparent.
- If a prospect approaches you to work with you and they’re looking for a service that is outside of your expertise, let them know that. Taking them on can remove the space in you business for clients who are your dream clients.
- You are the expert, so remember that you should never discount your services for prospective clients.
- If someone isn’t a good fit, don’t be afraid to refer them to someone else or possibly a course that might be a better fit.
- Accounting professionals should only work with those individuals that value their work. Not the individuals that are trying to nickel and dime them.
- Step 3 – Don’t burn any bridges. Just because someone isn’t a good fit now does not mean they won’t be a better fit in the future.
- Moving right into Step 4 – If someone isn’t a dream client, refer them to someone who is more capable of helping them, because they could possibly turn into an ideal client in the future.
- Denise shares a story about her client Matt, who only worked with $400K in net income businesses, but was approached by a startup who was making $75K in net income. If they stayed on target they would be an ideal client down the road. Matt referred this person to someone else who can help them now, and then will continue to follow-up every 90 days.
- Denise and Michelle discuss their follow-up system and why it’s important to follow up with a prospect even if they’re not the right fit now.
- Denise explains what sales karma is and how you can keep it going in your life.
- Michelle provides a quick recap of the episode.
Learn More & Connect With Me Here!
- Read The Abundant Accountant Blog
- Watch the Facebook Live
- Join us on Facebook
- Follow Michelle on LinkedIn
P.S. Did you know that the prospect that you referred out today could end up being an ideal client in the future? It’s true! THIS BLOG POST shares why referring out is important!
P.P.S MAKE MORE, WORK LESS
Unlock the secrets to growing a profitable accounting firm with less stress by joining our upcoming Abundant Accountant Masterclass!
- The easiest ways to sift through clients and get to the RIGHT ones!
- Proven tactics to actually get paid instead of giving away FREE advice!
- How to stop competing on price FOREVER!
Love the show? Subscribe, rate, review, and share!
Join the Abundant Accountant Community today: